MARYLAND MVA PROCESS FOR BECOMING A NEW DRIVING INSTRUCTOR
INDIVIDUALS SEEKING TO BECOME DRIVING INSTRUCTORS IN MARYLAND MUST:
- Be hired by a driving school
- Receive basic instructional training by a driving school
- Pass an apprentice test at the MVA a 50 question basic teaching and curriculum knowledge test.
- Pass a short classroom teaching presentation observation by the MVA at your driving school and a 30 minute behind the wheel skills audit and behind the wheel teaching demonstration
- Once the apprentice license is acquired the instructor candidate may teach under the supervision of an MVA licensed driving instructor with at least 2 years teaching experience as a MD licensed driving instructor.
- Once the teaching apprentice permit is acquired, the apprentice must attend an MVA approved Advanced Instructor Training course (Drive On Time Driving School is approved to offer Advanced Instructor Training)
- The apprentice has 6 months to reach a level of competence teaching in the classroom and behind the wheel and pass final approval of MVA for licensing after which the apprentice must either gain a full instructor license and certification or stop teaching. The apprentice teaching permit is not renewable.
- An MVA official will observe the apprentice instructor teaching in the classroom and behind the wheel and grade with standardized rubric. Upon successful completion the apprentice will receive a full instructors license.
NEW ADVANCED INSTRUCTOR TRAINING SCHEDULE OF UPCOMING CLASSES
Trainees must attend all classes and must acquire an apprentice permit prior to attending advanced instructor training
|Cost of BTW Only course||
|Classroom Only Course||
|Advanced Instructor BTW and Classroom Package (VIRTUAL CLASSROOM)||
|Advanced Instructor BTW and Classroom Package (IN-PERSON CLASSROOM)||
|Professional Development 8 Hour Course "Teaching Students With Little Or No Driving Practice"||
|Professional Development 4 Hour Course "Driving Instructor Professionalism"||
ADVANCED INSTRUCTOR TRAINING SCHEDULE
call 443-944-5288 for details or to ask questions (Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM)
Advanced Instructor Classroom and Behind The Wheel Training 2022 Schedule April Dates TBD. Classroom and BTW are included and cost is $695. To sign up for class click this button to create login then To enroll in both classroom and behind the wheel Call 443-944-5288 to confirm enrollment.
Instructor Trainer: John Wright